Monday, May 5, 2008

The Swell Season


Welcome back to Hell. Or as most of us like to refer to it, the work week. That means it's (Monday, Soom-waar, Doshanbeh, yawm-al-ithnayn, Kamal, Setting Orange). If I had a little bit more crap in my head right now, I would probably not be able to hold it up. It would just flop around uncontrollably on my neck. I don't really know if this is allergies or an actual illness. I'm guessing that it's the latter since someone else with whom I've been in close proximity was sick last week. One cannot blame another for germs. It's the way of the world. And to be perfectly honest, I don't feel that bad. Just heavy in the head. Anyway, hopefully your weekend was marvellous. Mine was pretty fun. Yesterday I saw a pancake that was bigger than any pancake I have ever seen. It was ridiculous. But, damn it was good. I also watched a good amount of soccer in Emporia, KS. I had never been to Emporia before. And despite what you may think, there was an excellent place to eat lunch in that sprawling metropolis.


So, in 1260 Kublai Khan became the Mongol Emperor. In 1494 Christopher Columbus landed in Jamaica and more than likely got stoned. In 1809 Mary Kies became the first woman in the US to receive a patent. On the very same day the Swiss Canton of Aargau denied citizenship to Jews. In 1835 the first railway on the continent (Europe) opened in Belgium. In 1862 the Mexicans defeated the French at the Battle of Puebla. We celebrate this event as Cinco de Mayo. This has basically turned into a reason to get drunk on cerveza and tequila and is in effect a Mexican flavored St. Patrick's Day without the parades and leprechauns. I have no problem with celebrating, but if you ask any respectable Mexican, they will tell you that the actual holiday is really not all that significant for Mexicans. In 1865 the first train robbery took place in North Bend, OH. In 1891 Carnegie Hall opened in NYC. In 1925 John Scopes was served an arrest warrant for teaching evolution. In 1955 West Germany became a sovereign state 10 years after WWII ended. In 1991 a riot broke out in Mt. Pleasant, Washington, D.C. I've been there before, and it's a pretty cool area. And in 1992 the 27th Amendment to the US Constitution was ratified. If you don't know this one, it has to do with the salary of US Congressmen.


Today is International Midwives' Day. Midwives are not the middle wives of polygamous marriages. They are birthing engineers and witches. They drive vehicles with bumper stickers that read "My other car is a broomstick." They also do all natural childbirths that are void of drugs and doctors.


In Hong Kong, Macau, S. Korea, and Taiwan today is the Buddha's Birthday. Happy Birthday Buddha. It is also Children's Day in S. Korea. In Japan today is Boys' Day. It's good to be a boy. Despite being controlled by our stomaches, we bleed less.


In Albania it's Martyrs' Day. And it is also the Day of the Lusophone, which is someone who speaks Portuguese.


Happy Birthday: King Afonso III of Portugal; Karl Marx; Kurt Loder; Bob Seger (from MI); Bill Ward, drummer of Black Sabbath; Brian Williams (no relation), of NBC News; Tina Yothers, where are you now?; and Chris Brown, who is popular with the kids apparently.


Enjoy your Monday. Tonight I will be watching the duet from the movie "Once". I am very excited and I am not going to cry!!

No comments: