Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day of Cake


Today is (Hump Day, Wednesday, Bhud-waar, Chaharshanbeh, yawm-al-arba'a, Idal, Boomtime) and I had the best cake ever. I don't know what kind it was, some sort of strawberry cake with lemon icing. It was moist and sweet, but not too sweet. After I ate the cake, I felt euphoric. I think that the cake should be called "sex" because it's that good.


Have I told you how busy work is right now? It's almost 2pm and I'm just now getting to this thing. That really gets me hot under the collar. I am used to being able to ease into my days at the Cheese Factory. Instead, I've been hitting the ground running and it's driving me insane. I didn't take this job to actually have to work. I'm not getting paid enough to work, for Christ's sake. Anyway...if you weren't tired of hearing about Barack, just wait, it's going to get worse.


In 1184 BCE Troy was sacked and burned by the Greeks. There was a movie about this recently I believe. In 1509 Henry VIII married Catherine of Aragon. In 1788 Russian explorer Gerasim Izmailov discovered Alaska, he found it to be cold and overrun with polar bears. In 1805 a fire burned most of Detroit. In memory of this event, I call for a re-enactment. In 1837 a the Broad Street Riots broke out between English and Irish-Americans in Boston. In 1892 the Limelight Department, one of the oldest film studios was founded in Melbourne, Australia. In 1919 Sir Barton became the first horse to win the Triple Crown. Horse racing is stupid. It is slightly less stupid than car racing, however. In 1935 Edwin Armstrong demonstrated the first broadcast on FM from Alpine, NJ. In 1955 83 were killed when two cars crashed in the Le Mans race. In 1962 three guys escaped from Alcatraz, one of them was portrayed by Clint Eastwood in a movie. In 1964 Walter Siefert went crazy and killed 8 kids and 2 teachers at an elementary school in Cologne, Germany using a flamethrower. That's some serious killing, right there. Nothing like a good bratwurst. In 1970 Anna Mae Hayes and Elizabeth Hoisington became the first female US Army Generals. And in 2001 Timothy McVeigh was executed.


In Hawai'i today is Kamehameha Day.


In Ancient Rome today was the Matralia in honor of Mater Matuta, goddess of dawn and sea ports. The festival was purely for single women and women in the first marriages and they offered prayers for the nieces and nephews and released a slave from Temple in the Forum Boarium (pictured).


It was also the fifth day of the Vestalia.


Happy Birthday: Ben Johnson, the dramatist; Jacques Cousteau; Gene Wilder, funny guy; and Joe Montana.


Have a good one, and please do try the sex cake...

No comments: