Thursday, June 12, 2008

An Observation

Ok, so here we are with another evening post. These may become less rare as I'm finding myself awake with nothing to do since there is no cable available which is fine because there's nothing on anyway. And in case you were wondering, it is in fact storming. While Allie and I were eating Thai food, the air raid sirens started blaring and panic ensued. No tornado, though.

Anyway, while sitting out back being all moody, I was watching the Sikh kids play basketball. I've never seen this before. It was really strange. And as they were playing their parents came out and started yelling at them. I couldn't really hear what they were saying. But I imagine that it was something along the lines of: "Hey, dummies stop playing that stupid game with the bouncy ball and hoop. What do you think you're going to become a pro bouncy ball player? Have you ever seen a pro bouncy ball player before? No, you haven't. That's because Sikhs do not play the bouncy ball game professionally. Now get in the house and practice your inventory taking skills. Who's going to run the liquor store when I die?" This may sound offensive, but it's not untrue. I have never seen a Sikh play basketball, let alone pro basketball. The Sikh National team doesn't exist because they don't have their own country. Sikhs are from India and to be honest, I've never seen Indians play basketball either. They may. I've just never seen it. One problem with the hoop dream of the little Sikh boy is the hair issue. One thing that you have to understand is that success in any arena is partially based on marketing. It'd be hard to find a market for yourself with all that hair. If you didn't know, Sikhs are really hairy. And one thing that Americans hate is unruly hair. If you don't believe me, look at an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog or a Playboy. Americans like hair that is well-groomed. It should be perfect even if it's messy. If it's messy, it should look like that's what you intended. You can have long hair, but it should be wavy and perfect, like Jesus's. You can have facial hair, but it should be well trimmed, like Jesus's. If you're a woman, you can have no hair anywhere except your head and your eyebrows. Period. (There are some minor exceptions to this rule.) Body hair for men is also frowned upon, but this is even more uncomfortable to talk about. And as I watch that little Sikh kid play basketball with that unruly hair with its weird ball on top, I can't help but think that his hair would be a major distraction to most NBA fans. So, Sikh kid, please listen to your parents, please. America may think that it's ready for a black president, but we're not ready for Air Sikh. I know that your people have been persecuted by Muslims and Hindus and that you don't have a homeland and all that horrible stuff, but there's plenty of things to do in this world besides play basketball. Thank you. And God bless us one and all. Even you little Sikh boy. Just put that damn ball away and be thankful God didn't kill us with one of his tornadoes tonight. I know I will sleep much better now that I have gotten this off my chest. Good night.

No comments: