Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Juneteenth


Setting Orange, Confusion 24, 3174- Panjshanbeh, Khordad 30, 1387- yawm-al-khamis, Jumada t'Tania 14, 1429. (Veer-waar, Istijlal, Thursday, dydd Ian).


In any case, apparently it's some sort of holiday that only a certain segment of our great society observes. Yup, it's Juneteenth, commemorating the day when in 1865 the slaves in Galveston, TX were informed that they'd been legally free for two years. Whoops, somebody did not get the memo. Anyways, it's a day that's observed in 28 states and Washington, D.C., but it's observed in neither Kansas nor Missouri, and since I legally live in one and spatially reside in the other, I'm not celebrating anything.


More importantly it's Garfield the Cat day. I used to love Garfield when I was a kid. The movies sucked but I used to laugh my fool head off at that fat cat. Don't lie, you did too.


So in 1179 the Battle of Kalvskinnet was fought in Norway and Earl Erling Skakke was killed. I have no idea what the significance of this was for anyone other than Vikings. In 1269 King Louis IX of France ordered that all Jews caught in public without their yellow badges would be fined. In 1770 Emmanuel Swedenborg reported that the 2nd coming of Christ had been completed. I'm guessing he was wrong. In 1807 Russian Admiral Dmitry Senyavin destroyed the Ottoman fleet. Good work. In 1846 the first baseball game was played in Hoboken, NJ. In 1910 the first Fathers' Day was celebrated. In 1943 a race riot broke out in Beaumont, TX. In 1953 the Rosenbergs were executed in Sing Sing Prison in NY for being Russian spies. In 1982 God's banker, Roberto Calvi was found hanging under Blackfriars Bridge in London. I guess he messed up God's checkbook. And in 1987 the Basque separatist group ETA set off a bomb in a Spanish grocery store killing 21.


Happy Birthday: King James I of England; Lou Gehrig, of the disease fame; Phylicia Rashad, aka, Mrs. Huxtable; and whack-job Paula Abdul.


I hope you all enjoy your day. I have spent much of mine on one toilet or another and hopefully will be back to game shape shortly.

No comments: