Monday, June 2, 2008

O Natoma!


Welcome to another (Monday, Soom-waar, Doshanbeh, yawm-al-ithnayn, Kamal, Pungenday). I wish that I could say that I'm glad to be here. But, I really wish that I could be anywhere but in the office right now. I spent the weekend in Natoma, KS which is a thriving metropolis. I ate more meat than is perhaps recommended by the FDA. I also got a lot of sun and may have fried my brain. But, I enjoyed myself thoroughly and found Natoma to be a very relaxing break from the hustle and bustle of KC. And the drive out there was far more beautiful than I anticipated and beats Illinois, Indiana, and W. Ohio hands down.


In 455 the Vandals entered Rome and began a two-week long plundering excursion. Damn Vandals! In 1098 the Crusaders ended their siege of Antioch and captured the city. Good work, men. In 1615 the first missionaries arrived in what would become Quebec City from France. In 1692 Bridget Bishop was the first woman to go on trial in the Salem witch trials and was found guilty. In 1763 Ft. Michilimackinac in Mackinaw City, MI was captured by the Chippewa Indians. In 1835 PT Barnum's circus began its first tour of the US. In 1886 President Glover Cleveland became the first and only President to get married in the White House. In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge signed the Indian Citizenship Act making all Native Americans born in the US citizens. In 1953 the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II was the first to be televised. God, she's been Queen a long time. In 1979 Pope John Paul II became the first pontiff to visit a communist country when he went home to Poland. In 1990 a tornado outbreak hit Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky. 88 tornados were confirmed on that day. And in 1997 Timothy McVeigh was convicted but was not thrown in a river to see if he'd float. But that would've been cool if he had been.


In Italy today is Republic Day celebrating the restoration of the Republic after the defeat of the fascists following WWII. Ciao, bellissimo.


Today we find ourselves in June, named after the Roman goddess Juno, who is goddess of marriage and the household. Apparently it's a good month to get married and an even better month to file for divorce which is what I plan on doing this week.


Happy Birthday: Pope Leo XI; Martha Washington; Marquis de Sade; Pope Pius X; Dana Carvey; and B-Real, of Cypress Hill.


Have a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! I've been telling you for years that Kansas is beautiful! Now, get yourself to Chase County asap.

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad to read you were in Natoma and enjoyed the time. Natoma is my hometown and most of my family is still there. I suspect you have family there?