Monday, February 25, 2008

And the weiner is...

Apparently last night the Oscars were awarded. Seeing as how I have no television (well, I have an object which is called a television but it is apparently incapable of receiving external signals), I did not watch the awards show. From what I can gather from the frontpage of MSN, No Country for Old Men won big. This is the first movie that has come out in quite a while that I actually want to see. Of course I haven't seen it because I refuse to go to the movie theater and get ass-raped. My ignorance of pop culture has been pointed out to me repeatedly of late. FTS. I don't care what Bradgelina ate for dinner last night. Unless you've got pictures of some famous startlet accidentally flashing a pantiless crotch shot, I don't give a rat's ass about celebrities.

That being said, welcome to the beginning of a new week. That would make today (Monday, Soom-waar, Doshanbeh, yawm-al-ithnayn, Kamal, Sweetmorn). Regardless of what you want to call it, it blows. At least it's not freezing any longer. But just wait until tomorrow because it's going to get cold again. This winter is killing me. The only thing I can say is that I'm glad I'm not a Kurd because the Turks are attacking them, and it rhymes with turd.

So, in 1570 Pope Pius V excommunicated Queen Elizabeth I- as played by Cate Blanchett. Seeing as how I haven't seen either Elizabeth movie, I have no idea if anyone played the pope. In 1793 George Washington held the first Cabinet meeting. In 1797 the last invasion of Britain occurred when Colonel William Tate (and Irish-American) and 1400 French troops landed at Fishguard, Wales. As expected, the French surrendered when women wielding pitchforks surrounded them. Not a shot was fired. I don't even know how French men can look at themselves in the mirror. In 1836 Samuel Colt received a patent for the Colt revolver. In 1837 Thomas Davenport received a patent for an electric motor. In 1870 Hiram Rhodes Revels of Mississippi became the first African-American to sit in the US Congress. In 1901 JP Morgan incorporated US Steel Corporation. In 1919 Oregon became the first state to levy a gas tax, bastards. In 1932 Adolf Hitler became a naturalized citizen of Germany, he was born an Austrian. In 1933 the USS Ranger became the first custom-built aircraft carrier. In 1991 an Iraqi scud missile hit a US Army barracks in Saudi Arabia killing 28 reservists. The following year Armenian troops killed over 600 Azerbaijani civilians. In 1994 Dr. Baruch Goldstein opened fire on a Palestinian crowd at the Mosque of Abraham in the West Bank killing 29 worshippers. You don't hear about Jewish terrorists too often. I'm sure this has nothing to do with any media biases.

In Kuwait today is National Day. In this oil rich nation whose capital is Kuwait City there are over 3.1 million people. Over two million of these are non-nationals. Kuwait has the 5th largest oil reserves in the world and is the 4th richest nation. In 1990 Iraq invaded Kuwait and instead of taking care of business then when we had the chance and the support of the entire world, we backed off and allowed Saddam to remain in power, more or less setting ourselves up for the failure we're involved in now. Hindsight is 20/20...

Today is also "Let's All Eat Right Day". So, please eat something that is good for you.

Happy Birthday: my second favorite author, Anthony Burgess; former Beatle, George Harrison (RIP); Tea Leoni, nice legs; and Spanish singer Julio Iglesias.

Enjoy the day and remember: "Beyond good and evil lies North Dakota."

2 comments:

Allie said...

Why so angry DW? We love your witt and wisdom!
PS take it easy on the Free State this week--it is a cumbtastic place to live!

Anonymous said...

Burgess: "It's sapien to be homo!" I love that guy.