Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Don't Just Stand There...

Praise ten pound four ounce baby Jesus it's Hump Day! Some will call it (Wednesday, Bhud-waar, Chaharshanbeh, yawm-al-arba'a, Idal, Sweetmorn). Regardless of what you call it, it's the middle of week. Here in the Arctic tundra of KC all seems to be quiet. I have to say that this bitter cold is unacceptable. FTS. I don't know if it's stupidity or dedication, but it takes a strong will to go outside and smoke an entire cigarette on a day like this.

It has come to my attention that it is impolite to bust a grumpy in an elevator.

Today is one of the most boring days on the calendar it seems. In 1792 the United States Post Office was established. In 1816 Rossini's opera The Barber of Seville debuted. In 1835 Concepcion, Chile was destroyed by an earthquake. I've never been in an earthquake, but I can't imagine it's a lot of fun. I imagine it'd seem as if you were stuck in a cocktail shaker and god was attempting to make the world's best martini. In 1872 the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York opened. In 1862 John Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth. And in 1987 a bomb mailed by the Unabomber exploded in a computer store in Salt Lake City. First thing to know about the Unabomber is that he is of Polish descent. Secondly, he went to the University of Michigan. And, lastly, he was a mathematician. If you put these three things together, and plug them into the super computer down there at Shawnee Mission Public Schools, you will come up with a profile of an insane person who randomly mails explosives and winds up living in a cabin in Idaho.

Excuse me, I just busted a grumpy.

Happy Birthday to the painter Ansel Adams; film director Robert Altman, who directed Popeye, which is highly underrated and what I like to think of as a bizarre aprhodisiac; Sidney Poitier; Charles Barkley; and super model and Northwestern graduate (just feel weird saying that) Cindy Crawford.

Enjoy the day. It's never too cold to do the the humpty, but I do believe my skin's all bumpy, and if you eat enough chilli and drink too much beer, it's very likely you'll bust a grumpy.

No comments: