Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's Raining Men


I cannot say that with any sort of surety.


Today is: Prickle-Prickle, Discord 6, 3174. (It is also Thursday, Veer-waar, Yawm-al-khamis, Istijlal.) In Iran and Afghanistan today is Panjshanbeh. And apparently today is the first day of Spring. That's lovely. I like Spring. I like flowers. I like not being cold anymore. The first day of Spring is also known as the Vernal Equinox which means the length of the day and night are equal. This is important if you are a vampire. For Persians, today is a holiday known as Nowruz, and it is celebrated by Zoroastrians, Sufis, and the Baha'i. It is the Iranian New Year and as such they will probably celebrate by telling us to once again piss off. If I was ruler of the universe and someone told me to piss off, I'd rain missiles down upon their head. Or, I would bake them cookies and send their children puppies and iPods. I don't know which is more evil, death or puppies.


In 1602 the Dutch East India Company was established in order to oversee Dutch colonies in SE Asia. This was rivaled by the British who established Bombay Company where you can now buy furniture and other crap you don't really need. In 1760 the Great Fire of Boston destroyed 349 buildings. In 1852 Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was published. I've never read it, I'll be honest with you. In 1914 the first international figure skating championship was held in New Haven, CT. One year later, after watching the event, Albert Einstein published his general theory of relativitiy. In 1922 the USS Langley was commissioned as the US Navy's first aircraft carrier. In 1934 the Great Hakodate fire in Japan killed 2165 people. In 1942 the Nazis killed 100 Poles in Zgierz, Poland and 3000 Jews in Rohatyn, Ukraine. In 1969 John Lennon married Yoko Ono in Gibraltar. This was the beginning of the end for the Beatles. However, it's been pointed out to me that due to the fact that they were really in love, maybe we should focus on the beginning of a great love story instead of the end of a great band. Afterall, "the love you have should be equal to the love you make..." or something like that. If that's the case, I'm feeling very lucky... In 1985 Libby Riddles became the 1st woman to win the Iditarod, well done. And five years ago the most recent Iraq War began. At one point GW declared victory and then he had to take it back. As you know we're still fighting the war, although I don't really even know who we're fighting anymore.


Today is International Astrology Day and World Storytelling Day. So, please check your horoscope and feel free to tell stories all day. Do not do any work. Just tell stories. And boy do I have a story for you...


Happy Birthday: Ovid, the Roman poet; Fred "Mr." Rogers, who made me feel very uncomfortable as a boy; Spike Lee, loudmouth; and Holly Hunter.


Please enjoy your day and try to get outside and do something to celebrate the end of winter. And for me, nothing says farewell to winter better than a good ol' fashion love song. By the way, will someone please explain to me what that song "Everybody Wang Chung Tonight" means? Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"In 1914 the first international figure skating championship was held in New Haven, CT. One year later, after watching the event, Albert Einstein published his general theory of relativitiy."

That just made my day. Thanks.