Monday, March 24, 2008

Saturday Night Mass in Iowa


Hola. Welcome to the horrorshow we like to call Monday (Soom-waar, Doshanbeh, yawm-al-ithnayn, Kamal, Pungenday). Once again, the rest of the civilized world has the day off and calls today Easter Monday. Unfortunately here I am, sitting at my desk, cursing the fact that I live in a country that values money more than sanity. But, what are you going to do? I hope that everyone had a good weekend. I know I did. I did two things I was definitely not expecting to do: a) go to Grinnell, Iowa, and, b) go to Mass on Saturday night. I've been to Grinnell once before to see the Frank Lloyd Wright bank. I have never been to Easter Vigil before. Nothing against the Catholics, but Jesus Mary and Joseph that incense gave me a headache! There's not much to say about Grinnell, but according to an observant 11-year old, "There are a lot of old people in Grinnell." Yes, it's true, Grinnell smells like cabbage.


In 1401 the Mongol Hordes sacked Damsascus. In 1832 a mob of men in Hiram, OH tarred and feathered Mormon leader Joseph Smith, Jr. I don't know about you, but I don't think that's very nice. First of all, I'm guessing that hot tar doesn't feel so great, and getting covered in feathers is just plain humiliating. I bet that there's not a lot of hair left on your body after that tar comes off. They call that a Hiram wax. In 1837 Canada gave African men the right not vote. In 1868 the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company was founded. In 1944 Nazi troops killed 335 Italian civilians for standing around and smoking cigarettes and being far too good looking just standing around doing nothing but being Italian...Ciao... In 1989 the Exxon Valdez oil spill ocurred. In 1998 in Jonesboro, Arkansas two kids shot up their middle school killing 5 people. That same day a tornado hit Dantan, Indian and killed 250. That whacko from Topeka, KS, Fred Phelps, blamed all of this on the sinful nature of America and our acceptance of the gays. And in 1999 a truck carrying flour and margarine caught fire in the Mt. Blanc Tunnel in France and killed 39. Afterwards, a witness described the scene as horrible, but said that it smelled like a gateau and left feeling extremely hungry, and guilty for feeling that way.


In ancient Latvia, today was Kazimiras Diena, a festival celebrating the return of the larks. Larks signify happiness, hope, good fortune, joy, youth, and freedom. If I had my own country, and I had to have a national bird, maybe the lark would be the one...


In Argentina today is the Day of Memory for Truth and Justice. It is also World TB Day.


Happy B-day: Harry Houdini, who died in Detroit; "I feel like Steve McQueen, a former movie star"; Tommy Hilfiger; and Peyton Manning.


Have a good day, and remember, "For those of you without hope, we have rooms with color TV, cable, and AC."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.